Responsible for carrying on long tradition of Lake Forest to preserve the special character and uniqueness of the City’s various neighborhoods. Built in 1857, the Cemetery Commission was established June 6, 1881 and the Cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places [NRHP] on May 30, 2001. The Cemetary Commission governs the use and operation of the cemetery. The day to day operations are handled by the Sexton whereas all administrative work is managed by the Public Works Department and the City Manager, who serves as the Secretary-Treasurer for the Commission.
- Members: 5 Members, including Chair (must own real estate in Lake Forest)
- Process: Appointed by Mayor, Approved by City Council
- Term: Serve a 2-year term, up to maximum of 3 terms
- Time Commitment: 8-12 hours monthly including meeting attendance and preparation
- When: Meets 4 times a year in January, April, July and October at 5:00PM, usually on Wednesday of the third week of the month.
- Location: Lake Forest Cemetery Gatehouse, 520 East Spruce, LF
- Note: All meetings televised; available for replay on City’s YouTube channel
- Reviews quarterly revenue and expense & investment reports
- Reviews all requests for naming rights, ravine & grounds landscaping and maintenance