The City encourages dedicated and civic-minded residents to participate in the local government. Any resident interested in serving on a board or commission can contact the Office of the City Manager (847-810-3675) or your local Ward Chair. All appointments are made by the Mayor with advice and consent of the City Council.
In the Fall, the Caucus will begin interviewing candidates for Open City Boards and Commissions. The Caucus strives to achieve geographically balanced representation by Ward in making its recommendations for appointive positions to City Boards and Commissions. Accordingly, when recommending appointees for the open positions, priority is given to maintaining the balance of Ward representation in the search for qualified candidates to recommend to the Mayor.
However, if an interested and qualified candidate can not be identified for a “priority” Ward, candidates from other Wards will be considered.
A listing of Boards and Commissions can be found here.
If you are a resident interested in volunteering please scroll down to see the open positions the Caucus is currently seeking to fill. If you are interested:
Open City Boards/Commission Roles
The following City Volunteer positions are available beginning early May 2019:
(click on a link to see a description of the Committee or Council)
- Mayor – City of Lake Forest
- School Districts D67 & D115 – Interviews Summer 2018
- Building Review Board (BRB) – 3 open positions, Ward 1, 2, 4 preferred
- Cemetery Commission – 2 open positions, Ward 2 & 4 preferred
- City Council – 1 open position, Ward 3 required
- Elawa Farm Commission – 1 open position, Ward 1 preferred
- Gorton Community Center – 1 open position, Ward 2 preferred
- Legal Committee – 1 open position, Ward 3 preferred
- Library Board– 1 open position, Ward 3 preferred
- Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) – 1 open position, Ward 4 preferred
- Parks & Recreation Board – 1 open position, Ward 4 preferred
- Plan Commission – 2 open positions, Ward 2 and Ward 3 preferred
- Senior Resources Commission – Open to all Wards
- Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) – 1 open position, Ward 1 preferred
The Caucus Committee
The Caucus Committee is another excellent way to volunteer and meet fellow residents, better understand the issues facing the City of Lake Forest and to have a positive impact on City governance. Caucus Committee members identify, recruit, interview and recommend qualified fellow Lake Forest residents to serve on the various City Boards and Commissions listed above.
The City of Lake Forest consists of 4 Wards (see Ward Map).
Every registered voter is a member of the Lake Forest Caucus. However, the Caucus Committee is comprised of residents elected by mail-in balloting to represent their respective wards for a three year term. Each ward has 9 representatives and the terms are staggered in such a way so that every Spring 3 new ward members (from each ward) are elected by residents for a total of 12 new Caucus Committee Members elected each year.