Every board and commission associated with the City’s government is composed of resident volunteers. This includes the elected officials of the City Council and the District 67 and 115 school boards. The Caucus Committee recruits, interviews and endorses candidates for the elective offices of Mayor, Aldermen, and the District 67 and 115 School Boards. In addition, we interview candidates and make recommendations to the Mayor for appointment to fill over 100 volunteer positions on the boards and commissions.
Our process includes, but is not limited to, the following process:
- All potential candidates are identified in one or more of four City Wards
- Each potential candidate meets with Ward Chair to ascertain fit for specific city position(s)
- Multiple candidates meet/interview individually with 5-9 Ward Committee members
- Ward deliberates and votes to see which candidate is recommended to the full caucus
- Multiple candidates from different Wards meet/interview with full Caucus Committee for each position
- Full Caucus Committee deliberates and votes on a nomination for each city position
- Nomination is then sent to Mayor for review and can be accepted or rejected
- Accepted nominees are presented for City Council for a review and vote.